Les Houches & Servoz Top Tips
Stunning Les Houches!
Lovely, lovely Les Houches is ready to welcome you all at any time of year with some fabulous activities to keep both little ones and big ones amused.
If you want to discover the quieter side of the Chamonix Valley, get that transfer to Les Houches booked and become part of the Les Houches community, even if you only have a week to become an 'Houchard' before returning to Geneva Airport.
• Go night skiing in Les Houches at Le Torchet pistes in the centre and enjoy music, vin chaud, hot chocolate and even flame-lit descents by the ski school instructors – all for free (every Thurs during school hols)
• Ski the Abbaye piste down to the Crozat chair in Les Houches - it's a flat start but once it gets going you'll have superb panoramic views of St Gervais, Megeve, Sallanches and beyond
• Every autumn Servoz hosts the Foire des Moutons with livestock, dancing, a big meal open to all and lots of stalls to wander around. Great for all the family
• Visit the ‘Maison de l’Alpage’ in Servoz – a well put together exhibition on alpine life
• See the St Bernard dog breeding kennels just between Les Houches and Servoz and visit the Donkeys in Vaudagne too
• Get your walking boots on. Whether it's a gentle stroll in the stunning forest behind the tennis club, an uphill hike to discover the hidden hamlet of La Charousse or the Promenade de l'Arve to reach Chamonix, the walking around Les Houches is superb
• Head to the Parc Merlet wild animal park in lovely Le Coupeau, the hamlet in the hills behind the main Les Houches train station. The parc has stunning views across the valley and you can see Chamoix, Mouflons, Cerf, Marmots and much more. Opens once the snow melts.
• Ride the Tramway Mont Blanc. This vintage rack and pinion railway runs from Le Fayet via St Gervais to Col de Voza and Bellevue in winter, then all the way up to Nid d'Aigle at 2380m near the Bionnassay Glacier in summer. A must do!
FAQ's / Mountain Drop-offs Testimonials
Les Houches & Servoz Events
Les Houches retains a wonderful village feel, with an emphasis on relaxed and family-based activities. There's also a thriving cultural scene too with events and festivities year round, from the 'big hitter' sporting events that draw in the crowds of thousands and are to be missed, to the smaller, more intimate events that'll make you feel like a local.
Our pick of forthcoming events for the 2016/2017 winter season in Les Houches include:
Grolleandski - 9-11 December 2016
This pretty crazy and eccentric festival combines humour, film and live music for a fun festival that’s definitely left of centre! Think MOnty Python and Johnny English, for example. Events take place in Les Houches at the Espace Olca as well as Chamonix. No set entrance fee, you pay what you think it was worth!
The Clownaskis - 19 & 26 Dec 2016 + 13 Feb 2017
Head to the snow front on Monday afternoons at the bottom of the Prarion lift to meet the skiing clowns on stilts! They’re cheeky little game players and totally madcap too, with their blow up costumes. These giant clowns on skis will bringing the party ambience to the pistes of Les Houches from 14:00-16:30.
Vendredi’Zik - every Friday during the Xmas & Feb French holidays
Friday night music live - celebrate the end of the week with live music from this talented trio. It’s a musical mix with everything from jazz and New Orleans to techno and groove too. It’s all happening at the bottom of the Prarion piste next to the bottom lift station, from 16:30 every Friday during Christmas and February.
Junior Kandahar - 6-8 January 2017
The third edition of the junior international ski racing weekend, featuring teams from around the world. These slalom and giant slalom races are open to skiers who are under 14 years old. There are individual events and team events on the programme.
Les Houches Kids Contest - 4 March 2017
One of the biggest events of the winter season in the Chamonix Valley for kids aged between 7 and 14. Races include Cross, Freeride and Big Air for both young snowboarders and skiers. It’s a great atmosphere and a fantastic way to enjoy the spring snow in Les Houches.
Farmer's Market - Every Weds 15:00-19:00
The Pain de Chibon is owned and run by Jerry, an artisan baker who grows his own crops, mills his own flour and bakes his own bread the old fashioned way. He's in the farm at the very top of the Route du Pont (the first road on the left as you drive into Les Houches from Chamonix) and every Weds you're invited over to discover the farmhouse bakery and other local artisan cheese, meat, veg and fruit producers.
More information on these and the weekly events calendar can be found on the official Les Houches tourist office website.
A reminder for when the Kandahar World Cup takes place in Les Houches during the main European school holidays (please note, no World Cup Skiing in Les Houches this 2016/2017 season): make sure you plan ahead if you're planning to travel to Les Houches during this time. Mountain Drop-offs will be monitoring all transfers to and from Geneva Airport to allow extra time if necessary.
FAQ's / Our Testimonials