Megève 'Must-do' Activities
* Do the altitude apres-ski party thing at the famous Folie Douce at the summit of the Mont Joux chairlift. Although technically in neighbouring St Gervais, this place is certainly a favourite with the skiers in Megève. Dance on the tables at 1958m until your ski boots can't take any more. Surely THE place to be seen in!
* Have a look around the Aallard department store, the epitome of elegance, where there's even a doorman to open the door & welcome you. Owned by a long-established Megevan family this boutique has been right at the heart of the village, near the church & the 'Tour de Demi-Quartier' since 1935.
* If you're a culture vulture, make sure you visit the Baroque-style church in the village centre as well as the Megeve and Haut Val d'Arly museums for an insight into the traditional Savoyard lifestyle before the posh people came to Megeve!
* Splash the cash on a pleasure flight in a light aircraft from the Altiport in Megeve, on the beautiful plateau just before the Cote 2000 parking. The plane uses 'skis' to take off from the snowy runway at 2000m in winter and there are three circuits to choose from, giving a bird's eye view of Mont Blanc from 64€ per person. We've done this trip and it is a truly brilliant journey!
* A great way to see Megeve at any time of year is by horse-drawn carriage and you'll find them gathered around the central square by the Baroque-style church - the perfect antedote for tired legs after a hard day's skiing or hiking!
FAQ's / Testimonials
As well as the skiing and eating it is famous for, Megeve also hosts many regular events during the year, including:
Abondance Cow Festival - 25 September 2016
If you know your cheese you’ll know that Abondance is one of the best and it’s produced using milk from the hardy Abondance cows who love nothing more than to roam the pistes and pastures in the mountains once the snow’s melted and the skiers have gone. This festival celebrates this very pretty breed with a parade, demos and more and has taken place in Megeve every autumn since 1282!
Christmas Tree Lights Switch On - 3 December 2016
Always the first weekend in December, this event symbolises the start of winter. Taking pride of place in the square by the church, a magnificent tree (often standing over 11m tall) is chosen from the forests around Megeve and becomes the emblem of Megeve throughout the winter. In the past the tree has been decorated with hundreds of Swarovski crystal 'snowflakes' and now there is a competition every year for an artist too decorate the tree - and it's always very spectacular.
Christmas Village - 24-31 December 2016
Santa and his helpers will be in Megeve every evening during the Christmas week. From 17:30 each day, you can meet the man himself at his home near the outdoor ice rink in the village. There will also be light shows, parades and street entertainment to really get you in that Christmassy mood.
New Year’s Eve Megeve style - 31 December 2016
As Santa is packing up, the whole of Megeve will be preparing to put on a superb New Year’s Eve party. There will be music, DJs, street parades and more. It all kicks off with ESF and ESI ski schools doing torch lit descents of the Jalliet and Calvaire pistes and then it’s party time. Welcome 2017!
Grande Odyssey Husky Sledging Race - 11 January 2017
To celebrate over 400 Husky dogs and their mushers passing through Megeve as part of this world-famous Husky sledge race, head to the main village square between 15:00 and 18:00. You’ll be able to get up close to these gorgeous dogs and meet a real life musher too!
Snow Polo Masters - 19-22 January 2017
This is the only polo competition that takes place on snow in France - and it’s open to the best polo riders in France and beyond. Over four days there will be a full programme of matches, to see which team will be crowned snow polo champions of 2017. Entrance to all matches for spectators is free.
World Cup Ski Cross - 21-22 January 2017
Megeve’s Club des Sport is proud to welcome the men and women’s Audi FIS World Cup Ski Cross event to the Cote 200 stadium. This has got to be one of the most exhilarating and exciting to watch ski disciplines there is. That mass start, those bumps and rollers - all to see who makes it over the line without wiping out.
Wether you fancy checking out Megeve in it's chic winter skiing coat, or prefer to visit in summer when things are more focussed on the town's agricultural origins, you will love this pretty little resort - and, of course, Mountain Drop-offs will take you there!
FAQ's / Testimonials