We know that fabulous food and drink are always a memorable part of any visit to the Chamonix valley. In the latest instalment of our restaurant recommendations – you can find more at “Fantastic Food in Chamonix” – we discover the art of lunch.
The history of plat du jour
A long-held tradition in France, le plat du jour, or dish of the day, is always on offer at lunchtime. In and around Chamonix you can enjoy a plat in lots of places for between 10€ and 15€.
If you feel like making lunch more leisurely, then many restaurants offer a “formule”. Originally created with local people in mind, the formule is now part of the French way of life.
Normally the formule is a fixed price option for two or three courses (from a limited menu selection). It’s generally great value for money and can be the best way to enjoy eating at even the most expensive restaurants in town. But beware, the saving on a fixed-price menu can is often swiftly overtaken by the price of the wine!
Favourite Chamonix lunchtime destinations
Some of our favourite lunch-stops include:
- Bizes – set by the river in the centre of Chamonix, what differentiates this restaurant is its use of a Josper oven. A combination of oven and grill that adds a unique flavour whilst food stays tender and juicy.
- Chambre Neuf – home of Chamonix’s famous Apres Ski. At lunchtimes the restaurant is bright, airy and offers both plat du jour and formules with soup and salad bar often included.
- Hotel Morgane – Le Comptoir Nordique restaurant is, as you might guess, inspired by all things Scandinavian. Close to the Aiguille du Midi lift, it promises beautifully presented, tasty, healthy, delicious food and indulgent treats.
- Hotel Pointe Isabelle – close to the heart of Chamonix, the restaurant here is spacious with fantastic alfresco dining options. Its formule du midi is among our favourites.
- Maison Carrier – the sister restaurant to the Albert 1er two-star Michelin offering. Lunch here includes the chance to discover the dessert tower in the centre of the restaurant – a must for those with a sweet tooth!
- Moo Bar – a popular burger restaurant, its lunchtime offering includes a formule which comes complete with generous salad and cheese bar. There’s generally a meat or fish dish plus a vegetarian option.
- Panier des 4 Seasons – a classic French restaurant, it offers delicious lunch menus. A far cry from the more Savoyarde offerings available, it offers a fantastic range of fish, seafood and meat.
- L’atmosphere – in the centre of town this restaurant offers three formules to enjoy on its covered terrace next to the river. We recommend booking in advance though, the location and the food mean it’s always popular!
- Le Telecabine – another town-centre favourite offering a fresh seasonal menu. There’s a lunchtime formule to enjoy ,or Tapas if you prefer some smaller plate sharing! Another location with a huge terrace which is perfect for leisurely summer lunches.
Check back soon for more recommendations from our top picks for fine dining, local Savoyarde specialities and much more.